Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I've gone crafty! Pillowcase, Blue jean Aprons & Shirt?

I've gone crafty and pulled out the sewing machine! My main motivation is the BEAUTIFUL fabric that my Patti bought us to make drapes for the front bedroom.

I figured I should at least get a little experience with the sewing machine before I goofed up that wonderful fabric, so pillowcase here I come!


(Forgive the crazy eyes, she was a little excited that it was finally out of the dryer!)
I found this fabric scrap at Wal-Mart; it was perfect size for a pillowcase. Emily has been on a HUGE Care bears kick lately. So I grabbed a pillowcase out of the closet and got to work! I used an existing fold for one side, and sewed all the edges!









*Things I would do differently...When I folded the open end seam, I only did it once (had to modify it afterwards so there wasn't a raw edge hanging out...) Find a better template!!!! What are the odds that the one pillowcase I grabbed was freakishly wide? It's pretty loose, but SHE LOVES IT!!!!





Next I really wanted an apron for Emily and one for myself. Emily has really been into helping me cook, or at least standing on the chair hanging out with me while I cook! So I surfed the Internet for 'all things Blue jean apron' and collected about 6 different styles/ideas. So, I sat down with a pair of Goodwill jeans and my new scissors, and got to chopping!















Emily's Apron is made from one pant leg, upside down and the open bottom cuff at her neck, and what used to be the thigh area as the bottom.

I trimmed it with White Rick-Rack, set back from the edge about .5 inch. I snipped the edge in every dip of the rick-rack to make it fray. I also wanted to allow the apron to grow with her, so I wanted to make the ties adjustable...I cut two pieces of ribbon and attached one end to the neckline of the apron and used scrap rick-rack to make a slot at the waist. So they crisscross and tie in the back, fully adjustable.


























What I would do differently.... Never hand sew again. I was nervous about using the sewing machine at first but I got the hang of it pretty fast. One side effect of Midnight/Stealth sewing after Emily goes to bed, I didn't get to try it on her until the next day. It is super long, and the pocket is cute, but practically in her lap. Oh well!



There is always the other pant leg!








Next I made myself an apron out of the top part of the apron! The jeans I picked had TONS of pockets, so I wasn't sure where to cut them at first... So I cut them in the bum, and then I tried to make the front work with the zipper area, but I couldn't get it to lay right. So I grabbed the handy scissors and cut it out! I made a seam connecting the two front sides. I like this better because i doesn't look like a bum is walking towards you, and the front slash pockets are awesome.



I wanted it to wrap around at least to half my hips/bum, cause I'm a major hip wiper when I'm covered in kitchen messes. So, I just trimmed a curve around the existing pockets. Which happened to be Front slot pockets, Side thigh pockets and bum pockets. Yes, 6 pockets on one apron!



I trimmed it out just like Emily's with Jumbo Rick-Rack and fray, and a White ribbon tie back.



*What I would do differently...shoot myself in the foot before I try and remove a manufactured stitched item off the denim. There were a couple decorative strap things on the waist band, I thought I could just use the seam ripper real fast and get them off. Yeah.... Right.... After 30 minutes, stabbing myself in the finger, breaking off the tip of one seam ripper and a series of hand cramps, I finally got them off. Next time I will just integrate it into the design. They really sewed that stuff on there to stay.


My next project, (I’m not even sure if I should put it on here, is a bit tragic) was great entertainment!

I found a scrap of fleece and thought, what the heck. I’ll make Emily a shirt!
Why not, she has a bunch, I can just copy one! So I grabbed one of her shirts, laid it out on the fabric and cut out the pieces. That part wasn't too hard.





The order of assembly, however, wasn't so easy. I did the shoulders and the sides of the torso, then I had to figure out the sleeves.... I sewed the sleeves into a tube, then I tried to do the cuffs. (Now I understand the stop and iron methodology.) I argued with the double fold hem and sewed possibly the waviest hem EVER.









I spent at least 10 minutes trying to figure out how to attach the sleeves. Finally deciding on sticking them inside the shirt, leaving the arm hole with the two raw edges, out to sew. I managed to sew them on straight and right side up... but I also managed to sew them onto the shirt INSIDE OUT!!!!! ACK!!!!! Oh well. It’s not really terrible looking, but I think it looks stupid.







For the neckline, I just did a V so I wouldn't have to worry about snaps or buttons. Very sloppy and messy. I see the advantage of the iron again...
All in all, if Emily had any fashion sense, she would run to the hills screaming. But she's blissfully ignorant and happy as long as she has her blanket!

Maybe I’ll get adventurous and make her pajama pants to match! Elastic should be highly entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment