Thursday, January 21, 2010

Blue Jean / Denim Art Apron - Construction

In an effort to use every bit of that pair of Jeans, I decided to make Emily another apron. This time I wanted something a little different, so I decided on an Art Apron. I wanted it to be shorter, and have more pockets.

This project was much faster than the last one. I think because I took the time to think it out before I started, and then I did most of the cutting before I got the sewing machine out. (I still haven’t decorated it yet though)

I did make a couple mistakes that I will tell you about, but I’ll make this post like a tutorial in the correct order if you want to make your own.


1 I took the other pant leg and laid it out on the table and cut the arm holes… (NOTE: I’m considering modifying the cut to a straight line so I can trim it in ribbon easier. Think about your decorations before you cut. Curved is fine if you want to do the fray edge again.)






















2 Lay it out right sides together and trim it even. I wanted to use the bottom part as the pocket, so I just left it on there to make it easier to handle.
3 I used the pieces that I cut from the ‘arm holes’ to create a pocket. Here I just evened them up.



4 I took apart a scrap piece of hem to have a template to fold up the bottom of the apron, which will become the top of the pocket.



5 Next, I marked the hem lines using the template as a guide. And I ironed the first line, then folded it up again and ironed it again.



6 Denim doesn’t like to hold the crease very long, so I pinned it and sewed it right way. I sewed close to the edge of the fold so it would look more natural.
Cut off the pocket from the apron. I did mine about 6 inches total.


7 Attach the big pocket across the bottom of the apron.



8 Pick a size for your small pocket. I used a box of crayons...
9 I squared off the small pocket and cut it down with a small fold over allowance. I also cut the corners. I was planning on having the bottom of the small pocket inside the big pocket, so it wasn’t important that it looked finished.


10 Decide on small pocket placement, I decided to use line that attached the small pocket all the way down to divide the big pocket.


11 Sew the bottom of the small pocket onto the apron. (NOTE: this is where I goofed up. I sewed the sides of the big pocket on before I did the bottom of the small pocket. I think that from now on, I’ll stick to one direction of sewing at a time. All the horizontal lines, THEN all the vertical lines. As you can see, I had to pin the big pocket out of the way so I could sew the bottom of the small pocket… not ideal)


12 Now is when you should sew the sides of the big pocket closed. I went over it twice. And did a criss cross at the top for stability.


13 Attach the sides of the small pocket and sew all the way down through the big pocket to form 3 sections.


14 All done for now!!!!
Not I have to decide how to decorate and trim it off.

2 comments:

  1. This is not metal... There is no metal on this blog. The Blue NinJa is not impressed with these sewing machines. Please get metal,wait no please JUST GET SOME GODDAMN METAL on this blog or I will be forced to do absolutely NOTHING! Get this shit fixed, some dumbass under a building in Haiti DEPENDS ON YOU and your tax money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blue Ninja is a Dork. :) Hey.

    ReplyDelete